There is nothing that can reset your mind and your skin like a self-care weekend.
Taking time to care for yourself is powerful, relaxing, and rejuvenating. That's why we've put together this list of 5 fun ways to have an ultimate weekend of self-care!
Spend some time with yourself this weekend to get you ready to take on the world. Here are our top 5 favorite ways to create the most relaxing, rejuvenating, and refreshing self-care weekend!
1. Take a break from technology.
This will be a hard one, but it is the first step to really caring for yourself this weekend. Take a scheduled break from your phone and tablet.
Technology is a huge drain on our well-being. It is hard on our eyes and our bodies. Over time we get used to the strain, but did you know your cell phone usage can be a contributing factor to your exhaustion and tension headaches? Prolonged exposure to screens causes dry eyes, headaches, even migraines, and long-term fatigue.
Not to mention that phones are a constant interruption in the quieter moments when you might be trying to relax and wind down.
It's a good idea to take breaks while using technology throughout the day, but what if you took a vacation away from your tech? Our devices keep us plugged into the world around us, but what if we unplugged and unwound without the use of our pocket computers?
We take scheduled (and spontaneous) vacations from our jobs, turning off email, letting work calls go to voicemail, enjoying a Mai Tai by the ocean, so why don't we take a vacation from our devices and the flood of notifications?
Planning a scheduled break from technology means you can prepare yourself to have a stress free time away from your phone.
Most of us aren't used to being without our devices for long periods of time. In any other setting, this could cause stress and discomfort, but if you plan to remove the technology, you can set yourself up for a relaxing and rejuvenating break that doesn't require a constant check-in.
Call your best friend and family members and let them know you'll be turning off the sound and vibrations and stepping away from your device for a few hours. If you feel it's necessary, set up a way they can get in touch if there is an emergency to give both parties peace of mind. Lots of different phones have ways to identify when someone is urgently trying to reach you.
Turn on your email vacation responder so you can step away. Besides emailing your coworkers and calling your boss ahead of time to let them know you'll be MIA all day Saturday and Sunday. Turning on a simple vacation responder lets clients and coworkers know you'll be getting back to them during office hours on Monday.
Switch the phone to it's do not disturb settings and find a safe, accessible space for it. You can slide it into your kitchen door or in your sock drawer to get it out of sight and out of mind yet have an easy to find a location where you know it will be if you need it and get ready to relax.
Not going for the phone will be hard at first, but the benefits outweigh the initial boredom, and there are so many ways to relax or get out there and experience something new. Even just two to three hours without your phone can be a refreshing experience.
Taking a break from technology not only gives our eyes and thumbs a break, but it allows us the opportunity to see life through a different lens and simply take everything in around us at face value.
Now, what to do with your planned digital freedom? Next up, get ready to get cozy.
2. Set the Mood: Awaken your Five Senses and Let Stresses Simply Melt Away.
Awakening our senses of smell, sight, hearing, and touch are some of the most powerful tools we have to help us relax and let go of our stress.
- Smell - Calm your nerves by adding eucalyptus, Lavender, and sweet mint essential oils into your diffuser. Light candles for their comforting warm glow and tranquil scents.
- Touch - Fluff up the pillows, tidy your space, and pull out your most plush robe and slippers. A clean and comfortable space to just be is far more relaxing than any day at a spa.
- Sight - Turn down your overhead lighting and opt for low lit lamps instead. Fill the room with soft images of nature. Try a screensaver for your tv that includes gentle water scenes or delicate flowers.
- Sound - Switch your Spotify to a curated playlist that is all about winding down. This is one of our favorites.
- Taste - Believe it or not, taste is an incredible tool for helping the mind let loose and relax. Sip on a warm cup of ginger tea infused with slices of lemon and local honey. If ginger is not your thing, a cinnamony cup of chai tea is the perfect partner in crime for a slow day of unwinding. We love this herbal blend kit by Chaiwala Chai for a caffeine-free, relaxing experience.
Creating an environment you can relax and just be yourself in opens up your mind and body to a world of rest and comfort while melting away the week's stresses.
3. Practice yoga for a 20-minute relaxation session.
Yoga can free your mind and relax your muscles. We spend a lot of time at our desks and on our feet, causing a lot of strain and pressure on our lower backs. A good, easy stretch session can pull us out of the weight of our day to day stressors while giving our muscles and bodies a release too.
We love this quick sequence that will give your body a full stretch and help melt away stress. Not interested in a full-on practice for your day?
Studies have shown that even a little bit of yoga and stretching reduces our stress, fatigue, and even depression. Find a sunny spot in your home, grab your yoga mat, and do a few sun salutations followed by some slow forward folds.
Standing forward folds release tension and stress naturally.
Follow these simple steps to allow your stress and anxiety to flow from your body and out through the ground releasing and letting go:
- From a standing position, bend your knees and hinge at your hips, allowing your body to simply hang there over your feet.
- Hold the pose for five breaths.
- Slowly raise out of the forward fold one vertebrae at a time, being sure to breathe deeply and slowly.
- As you reach the top of the bend in your back, swoop your hands up and over your head as you straighten to rest your hands at your heart in the prayer position.
- Take five deep breaths here before beginning the sequence again.
These simple movements clear space in the mind and get your body moving in intentional ways it hasn’t had a chance to throughout your week. You will feel brand new, and your body will thank you even for the smallest movements.
4. At-Home Spa Day
There is nothing better than following up a yoga routine than with a day at the spa. Create your own afternoon at the spa from the comfort of your own home.
Get clean. There is no doubt that a warm shower or bath can create a total reset in your mind and body. Lathering up with a refreshing body wash and gently exfoliating your skin will literally wash away your stressors while calming the mind and pampering your skin.
Choosing healthful and intentional products bring a sense of luxury to an at-home spa treatment. Try this Lavender body wash infused back scrubber of our tension in our backs. Taking the time to gently massage and exfoliate this skin will release muscle tension and make heading back to work more comfortable.
Our hands and feet work hard for us throughout the week. Why not follow your shower with a home mani-pedi? A simple, all-in-one body wash infused hand and foot buffer will remove any lackluster dead skin cells from the surface and soften up those fingers and toes with a gentle, scrubbing massage.
5. Dinner and a Movie at Home
Order fancy takeout and have it delivered right to your door. With so many restaurants now accessible to us through delivery apps, there is no reason to get dolled up for your favorite fancy restaurant. Browse restaurant menus right from your phone and order in for the night. Don’t forget dessert!
Our favorite way to enjoy a fancy take out dinner is to finally put the special occasion plates, silverware, and glassware stowed away in the cabinet to good use. You are worth celebrating, and delicious food deserves a beautiful set up to accompany it.
Best way to enjoy a fancy take out dinner? Why, pretending you are oh-so-fancy too by setting up a delightful dining experience for one:
- Grab a pretty tray that is easy to carry.
- Set the tray with your best plates, cups, and cutlery and plate your food from the to-go containers onto the plates. Instagram worth shots are absolutely acceptable.
- You can also decorate the tray with a tiny plant, small decorative items from around your home, or if you happen to have fresh flowers around, you can include a small vase. Don’t forget a cloth napkin!
- Light a few extra candles.
- Move your dinner to the couch and get cozy for dinner and a movie.
Now you are set to enjoy a magical, candlelit, dining experience. Try out that new comedy that is on your watch list, or go for the gold and find a cheesy romantics drama that will give you all the feels. We love a good cry over chocolate cheesecake while watching star crossed lovers be reunited!
No matter what your job is throughout the week, a self-care weekend is one of the most powerful gifts we can give ourselves. Seek out these opportunities and moments whenever you can.
In this busy, hustling, and bustling world, we forget to care for the person that matters most, ourselves. Taking intentional time to relax, unwind, and remove ourselves from this busy world will ensure that you stay the most creative, happiest, and healthiest version of you.