Have you ever wondered what actually goes into your body wash and how it all works together for the greater good of your skin and hair? Especially if you have any skin challenges, it helps to know what the ingredients are and how they may be helping or harming our skin. Aside from how amazing it feels to wash the day away, a goal to keep in mind is how to replenish moisture in our skin.
We can accomplish this goal in lots of ways but they work best when they are all working together. For instance, adding a humidifier to your home or bedroom can work wonders in adding moisture back into the air and, therefore, back into your skin. The same holds true when it comes to what we use to cleanse our skin. You want the ingredients to work together to cleanse your skin and also help it retain its moisture.
A powerhouse ingredient that you want in your body wash is glycerine. So what is glycerine and how does it benefit your skin?
How Do Products Help Your Skin Retain Moisture?
Our skin loses moisture in a variety of ways. In order to keep it from looking dry and dull, we really have to invest in products that help it keep moisture locked in. You may have heard of the word humectant in the past but aren’t exactly sure why it matters. A humectant is a commonly found ingredient in beauty products, shampoo, and lotion. They are known moisturizing agents.
Typically, humectants are known to be able to preserve the quality of the product they are added to and also retain moisture. We say “typically” because this is another reason why it’s important that ingredients work together. Not all products are created equally and it’s important that one ingredient doesn’t counteract another.
How Do Humectants Function?
A humectant functions similarly to a magnet that would attract water molecules. Humectants are able to attract moisture from the air into the top layer of your skin. Surprisingly they work in a similar manner with your hair. They assist your hair in pulling in and retaining moisture.
There are a variety of humectants and they all work differently. Some are able to balance the moisture levels in your skin by aiding in the turnover of dead skin cells. Others are known to help your hair and skin by supplying moisture directly. It is also worth mentioning that not all humectants can be used for hair and skin interchangeably.
Common List of Humectants
Humectants can be found in the ingredient section of your product and come by many different names. Here is a list of some of the common humectants you might find in products:
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Sodium Lactate
What Is Glycerine?
While heating up a mixture of lead monoxide and olive oil, Swedish scientist K.W. Scheele made the discovery of glycerine by pure accident. The fat byproduct of this mixture being heated was fat now known as glycerine.
Virtually nontoxic to the environment and human health, glycerine can commonly be found in everything from moisturizing and cleansing products to soaps and shampoos. In fermented goods such as bread, wine, and beer, glycerol or glycerin also occurs naturally.
People have used glycerin to make soap since around the mid-nineteenth century. Once you heat certain plant oils and allow the solution to cool, you can form them into the shape of a bar.
How Is Glycerine Beneficial in Body Wash?
Pure glycerine is a clear, almost colorless, odorless, water-soluble humectant. This means it attracts moisture to your skin and its most natural form doesn’t contain chemical ingredients, fragrance, or alcohol that could irritate your skin. There are a variety of soaps that only include fragrance, alcohol, and other chemical-based ingredients.
Glycerine soap is a superior option for those with sensitive skin and it is also considered vegan-friendly. During the process of bathing, whether from harsh products you are using or hot water temperature, your skin’s natural oils are stripped away. If you are looking to prevent over-drying and lock in your skin’s natural moisture, glycerine is your new best friend.
Additionally, this may benefit you have skin conditions that are known to cause dry skin such as:
Another excellent benefit of glycerine is that it is a great choice for combination or oily skin because it is nongreasy. Some studies in mice have also shown that glycerine may be able to reduce the appearance of blemishes and fine lines.
Why Superior Skincare Products Matter
There was certainly a time when any budget product on the shelf would do when it came to cleansing our skin. There really should be a mini class taught on hygiene and how important the products we place on our skin are. Even a person with the most flawless skin on the planet could benefit from knowing exactly how the products we use interact with our skin.
Here is the truth we often don’t realize until we are having an issue: your skin needs moisture and to have a balanced environment. As we age this is even more true. Our cells turn over at a less rapid rate and our skin can become clogged, dry, and dull-looking. There are a lot more things working against our skin as we age. This is why it’s imperative that you are putting quality products on your body from the start.
Products made with harsh chemicals, that are loaded with fragrance, or alcohol, might seem nice in the package but they could actually be stripping your skin of the very thing it needs. At Spongellé we understand how important it is to have products that are formulated without parabens, harsh chemicals, that are cruelty-free, and vegan-friendly. So, we created them.
Our Favorite Body Washes With Glycerine
At Spongellé we had a laundry list of criteria when it came to designing the perfect body wash. Here are some of the benefits of our body washes:
- They are made for all skin types: If you have ever suffered from even a little bit of skin sensitivity, you know how important it is to find products that will not irritate your skin.
- Custom-blended fragrances: If you have never seen an actual marshmallow drizzled pear snowberry in the wild, chances are you probably have no idea what it would smell like. Our custom-blended fragrances are made with ingredients you can pronounce in scents you likely know and already love.
- You can use them for 70+ washes: It is recommended to use three to five pumps per wash. We have the math down to a science and even know how many pumps to recommend for you to get the best experience possible.
- Our body washes are created with glycerine as a humectant so that your dry skin is relieved and moisture is retained.
- We also incorporate a pro-vitamin B5 to make sure your skin’s natural barriers are stabilized.
While we certainly have a variety of fragrances for everyone, here are some of our personal favorites:
- Beach Grass Body Wash: Fragrance notes include a base of aquatic, woody, and musk. This is followed by a middle of jasmine, rose, and powdery. Last but not least, it has top notes of spicy, fruity, and green. This scent is bound to make your list of favorites too.
- Freesia Pear Body Wash: The base of this delicious scent is woody, musk, and amber. It is followed by a middle of freesia, peony, and floral bouquet. The top notes consist of lemon, grapefruit, and pear. We aren’t sure that 70+ washes are ever enough of these scents.
- Honey Blossom Body Wash: The base of this nostalgic scent includes powdery notes and creamy vanilla. The middle note is lavender. To top it all off are Aldehydes and musk. We adore a well-rounded fragrance that has vanilla for just the right amount of sweetness.
It’s important to understand what goes into the products we use daily and know how certain ingredients can benefit us more than others. Added ingredients can increase your risk of skin irritation or possibly other side effects. Feeling confident in your skin is the best feeling in the world.
If you’re anything like us, you are on the constant lookout to streamline the number of products you use for the most bang for your buck. Finding a product that is safe for all skin types and is able to check all the boxes when it comes to eliminating harsh chemicals, fragrances, and other potentially harmful ingredients is a huge added bonus.
With Spongellé you will be able to recreate the perfect at-home spa experience, with scents you will love, and ingredients that offer the most benefit possible!